Monday, June 16, 2008

Office Spinoff

Well... this is the first time that I have ever blogged about the spinoff. It will air for the first time in February 2009 right after the Super Bowl and after that it will air every night at 9:30 after The Office.

As much as I look forward to an extra half hour of Office-shenanigans, I worry that it won't be as good as the original and that it will break up the current cast. Why is it that whenever something makes money, they have to expand it and expand it and expand it and try to suck everything they can out of it? Why can't they just leave something that is working the way it is? I mean it would be great if it was as hilarious and entertaining as the current Office is without destroying the original (by removing characters). I just don't understand why. Maybe if the series was ending (god forbid) and they wanted the show to live on, then maybe i would be more enthusiastic, but i don't know yet.

The part that scares me the most is who may be leaving The Office for the spinoff. Even though Steve Carell did say, "As far as I know, nobody is leaving ship. At least at this point, from what I’ve heard, I don’t think it’s based on any of the characters from the existing show. It’s an entirely new setup with new characters," I still worry about what will happen. Rumors originally said it would be Dwight and I almost jumped off of a cliff (THE OFFICE WOULD NOT BE THE SAME AT ALL WITHOUT DWIGHT). Now they are saying that it will be either Andy (not the worst thing ever I guess) or Karen (her short-lived show, Unhitched, on FOX was just cancelled). The way things are going in the show, both of those options make sense. Angela could break Andy's heart and Andy could transfer to another branch. Karen is already in charge of the Utica branch, so maybe the spinoff will be about how she is doing there. Hey... maybe it could be about both of them (Andy could work for Karen at the Utica branch... just like old times when they worked together in Stanford). The only actor confirmed in the spinoff is Aziz Ansari (from Human Giant on MTV). Everything else is just speculation.

I guess all we can do is hope that the spinoff is as good as the original without taking anything away from the original (LEAVE DWIGHT ALONE!)

No comments: